John Reid BSc Mech Eng
John graduated from Aberdeen University in 1977 with a BSc Hons Degree in Mechanical Engineering. During a 27 year career as a Well Systems Engineer / Projects Manager in the E&P sector of the offshore oil and gas industry he was involved on several development projects worldwide, specialising in well engineering and well site operations, subsea / floating production systems construction, including deep water drilling, and well technologies. His most recent projects were FPSO development projects in the UK North Sea and Brazil.
Between 1999 and 2004 he worked with Bateman Chapman Ltd (BCL) as a consultant on well systems and downhole insurance claims, forensic investigations, and disputes. Since joining BCL, later CTA, then LWI full time in 2004 John has been extensively involved in oil and gas upstream insurance claims worldwide, including offshore CAR and energy package PD, OEE and BI losses. He has experience in managing specialist well / downhole and subsea claims including the following:
- Major N Sea incidents (2) 2011, where FPSOs lost station and caused extensive damage to turret, dynamic risers, and seafloor architecture
- Gulf of Mexico hurricanes, PD / OEE / BI / CBI losses in 2004, 2005 and 2008 including forensic analysis of integrity and downhole scenarios on toppled platform wells.
- Jack up drill rig struck wellhead platform causing double well blowout, Offshore Mexico 2009.
- Blowout on completed well with multiple downhole tubular/barrier failures, Offshore Angola.
- Offshore / onshore OEE losses worldwide. Control of well inc HP/HT, UGBO and redrill.
- FPSO and subsea systems construction and operations losses worldwide.
- Subsea production system CAR losses inc xmas tree, flowlines, risers, umbilicals, worldwide
- Blowouts on offshore / onshore wells with pollution / contamination liabilities, worldwide
- Shale gas blowout / control of well incidents. USA
- Offshore jack up and semi sub rig drilling / system losses including major loss offshore Canada