ACII, BSc (Hons), CEng, FIMechE
Andrew is a Chartered Engineer and Chartered Insurer with over 20 years’ experience in loss adjusting, underwriting, claims management and risk surveying. A founder and former chairman of the European Wind Turbine Committee, he also chaired the Oil, Petrochemical and Energy Risks Association (OPERA) and is a member of the Offshore Engineering Society. He is a Fellow of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, an Associate of the Chartered Insurance Institute and holds an Advanced Diploma in Insurance, specialising in engineering, energy and marine insurance.
In his early career, Andrew worked in the mining industry, gaining experience of diamond, tin and coal mining operations. He is also very knowledgeable on tunnelling, underground construction and drilling.
In a subsequent career move, Andrew gained a commission in the Royal Navy, serving at sea on operational warships and at various engineering training establishments ashore. During this time, he was able to gain technical expertise in thermal power systems but was also trained in the naval coordination of maritime trade operations and commercial shipping.
On completion of his naval career, Andrew entered the insurance industry and initially worked as a regional engineer for a commercial loss adjusting company. He subsequently joined a specialist consultancy providing technical claim management services to insurers and law firms, especially in respect of damage to underground cables and pipeline systems.
In 2000, Andrew moved to the London insurance market and worked for 7 years with an international team of energy loss adjusters, investigating and negotiating the settlement of some of the market’s largest upstream / offshore energy, mining and power generation claims.
He later joined a Lloyd’s syndicate writing a book of energy, operational and construction risks, as their risk engineer and claims adjuster. Building on this, he took up a position as a senior engineering underwriter with one of the world’s largest reinsurance companies where he quickly established a reputation as one of the market’s leading underwriters for offshore wind and submarine cable risks.
Andrew is a regular speaker at conferences and has contributed to many market initiatives such as:
- The International Machinery Insurers Association paper on battery energy storage systems, published 2019.
- The Society of Construction Law – presentation on offshore wind, London, 2019.
- Speaker at the 5th Annual Offshore Power Cable Engineering and Reliability conference, Amsterdam, 2019.
- Expert view: the future of renewable energy – Strategic Risk publication, 2018.
- Renewable energy investment – Strategic Risk publication, 2018.
- Innovation and Challenges in Offshore Wind, WTW China Renewable Energy Conference 2018, Hangzhou, China.
- Seeking Sustainability – creative risk management and insurance solutions, FERMA 2017, Monaco.
- Renewable UK Cables 2020 webinar – Key Cable Failure Trends and Insurance Considerations – expert panellist – 24 November 2020
- Offshore Engineering Society – Offshore Wind and Natural Catastrophe Risk – an insurance perspective – speaker – 29 July 2020
- Subsea Cable Asset Management and Reliability – expert panel chairman – 21 October 2020
- Seabed Mobility and Offshore Installations – an insurer’s perspective – speaker – 24 February 2020